Go to navigation (press enter key)

News

Two provocative documentaries on U.S. military bases and prostitution in South Korea to be screened. Tuesday, March 27, 2007

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY — Me and the Owl and Alice In Wonderland, two documentaries about camptown women who are Koreans, Filipinas, and Russians catering to U.S. soldiers in South Korea, will be shown on Tuesday, March 27, at 4:30 p.m., in Rockefeller Hall, Room 200.

The screening will begin with a brief introduction by Professor Seungsook Moon, director of the Asian Studies Program. It will be followed by a discussion with Kyung-tae Park, the director of Me and the Owl, Tong-nyong Kim, the director of Alice in Wonderland, and Young-im You, the producer of these films. Ms. You is the director of My Sister's Place, an NGO that works with sex workers who cater to American soldiers stationed in South Korea. The event is free and open to the public.

[Left: Kyung-tae Park] Since the end of World War II, the U.S. has maintained a sprawling network of military bases in Asia, many of which are still concentrated in South Korea and Japan. This stable military presence has far-reaching implications for the lives of tens of millions of people in these host countries, regarding employment, family relations, social relations of gender and sexuality, human rights, and environmental security.

Me and the Owl, initially produced in 2003, is notable for its interviews with camptown women, who agreed to appear without having their faces blurred. This allows audiences to see them as real people, analyzing the society that stigmatizes them and opening unsettling but unavoidable questions about the U.S. military. Alice in Wonderland, produced in 2006, conveys experiences of Filipinas and Russian women as migrant sex workers around U.S. military bases in South Korea.

This event is sponsored by the Asian Studies Program, the Office of the Dean of the Faculty, the Department of Film, the Program in American Culture, the Department of Sociology, and the Asian Student Alliance.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Friday, March 16, 2007